Saturday, November 15, 2014

Gestational Diabetes: Diabetic Friendly Brownies

In this pregnancy I have been craving chocolate like no other. Having gestational diabetes and a massive chocolate craving has been torture! While on my hunt for diabetic friendly baking I also branched into sweets. I found several  Paleo baking recipes for cookies and brownies but not very many that were low carbohydrate or sugar free and didn't have bananas, avocado, or some interesting ingredient in them. I wanted brownies not a science experiment.

I came across this recipe for brownies: The Perfect Fudge Brownies at Recreating Happiness.com .This recipe was a great base (not perfect) for the brownies I made but they were not sugar free. So here is how I changed the recipe to keep my blood sugar from sky rocketing!

Note: Keep in mind that the texture on baked goods using coconut and almond flour is different than that of baked goods using flour. It is like eating coconut. Also, keep in mind that my body is different from yours- check your blood sugar regularly and watch portion size to ensure sugar success.

Diabetic Friendly Brownies

Bowl #1- Creating your Chocolate:
2 oz Unsweetened Bakers Chocolate
2 Tbsp Coconut Oil

Bowl #2- Stand mixer or largest bowl
1/2 Cup Splenda Brown Sugar- lightly packed
2 Tablespoons Unsweetened Coconut Almond Milk- compensates for the coconut flour
1 tsp Vanilla
2 Large Eggs- slightly beaten

Dry Ingredients:
1/2 tsp Salt
1/4 tsp Bake Soda
2/3 Cup Almond Flour
1/4 Cup Coconut Flour

Optional Add-ins:
1/2 Cup Sugar Free Chocolate Chips- (some sugar free chocolate chips can have a laxative affect- use with caution!)
1/2 Cup Nuts (your choice- I like walnuts)- ups the protein content on the brownie too!

Directions:
You are going to use 3 different bowls for your mixing at first.

Preheat oven to 325 degrees.

Bowl #1:  Melt 2 oz. Unsweetened Bakers Chocolate in 2 Tablespoons of Coconut oil. I melted mine in the microwave. Make sure you watch the heat. Coconut oil gets very hot and burns at a lower temperature. You may need to let this mixture cool before adding it to the liquid (Bowl #2) or you can cook your eggs with it..!

Bowl #2: In a different bowl slightly beat 2 eggs, add the Unsweetened Coconut Almond Milk, Vanilla, and Splenda Brown Sugar. *This is my largest bowl or stand mixer- all of the ingredients will meet in this bowl.

Bowl #3: Combine your dry ingredients: Coconut Flour, Almond Flour, Salt, and Baking Soda. I find that with coconut and almond flours I need to break up the clumps before adding liquids to it. This makes things mix better and become smoother.


Combining the Parts:

Combine Bowl #1 and #2 and mix well. Make sure the coconut oil is not too hot or it will cook your eggs!

Add Bowl #3 to liquid mixture and stir well.

Fold in Nuts or Sugar Free Chocolate Chips

Pour into 8 x 8 Brownie Pan. *The consistency is a little thicker because of the alternative flours. You may need to spread the mixture with a spatula or spoon to get it even. Don't worry it works out in the end!

Bake for 20-25 minutes depending of how crunchy you like your brownies.

I topped mine with Cool Whip Lite and it was awesome! It was also a hit with my husband and two year old.

I hope your chocolate craving was satisfied!  

1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete