What a big decision it is to pick a car seat for your new baby. They car costly and there are a ton of choices. Just deciding on which one to register for can be challenge. There are right ways to install it and wrong ways to install it. There are color choices and different models. What it all comes down to is that you want you little one as safe as possible!
I don't have personal experience yet but the advice we received from friends was this:
1) Buy one of the infant carrier car seats but buy an extra base for the car seat. This allows both cars to be equipped. This is supposed to also prevent having to move a sleeping baby out of a car seat to take them in or out of the car.
2) Make sure the car seat you register for is compatible with the stroller you register for or just buy the stroller frame that fits the infant carrier to start. I have found in my research that Graco Snug Ride infant carriers seem to be the most versatile and highest rated. They also have an installation video you can watch.
3) Put your car seats (at least the base) in the car when your delivery window opens so that you don't have to worry about it after the baby arrives. You can also take your car with car seat to the local CHP for inspection to make sure it is installed correctly. You have to call ahead and make an appointment.
4) Don't buy a used car seat or use a hand-me-down if you can afford it. Safety regulations change all the time and if you buy it used you have no way of knowing if it was in an accident.
5) My Prepared childbirth class gave us this number for questions: Safety Belt Safe (800) 745- SAFE or online: www.carseat.org