Saturday, September 10, 2011

Leg Cramps & Coconut Water

One of the great joys of pregnancy that I began to experience in week 24 was painful debilitating leg cramps. I was really upset to have this added to my list of pregnancy wonders, especially because I have exercised and taken my vitamins just as I was told. When I talked to my doctor she suggested that I drink coconut water. I was a little surprised that this was what the doc suggested but I was in so much pain I was willing to try anything. It worked wonderfully and has some really great benefits other then just stopping my leg cramps. It turns out that coconut water is a natural laxative, it can also help regulate blood pressure, and it when you are breastfeeding it is said to improve the quality of your breast milk.

When ever possible I drink coconut water straight from the coconut! There is a Whole Foods market near my yoga studio that cuts the top off the young coconut and all I have to do is stick a straw in it and drink up. The picture below was taken at my local farmers market where they also keep them on ice. Coconut water tastes much better this way and doesn't need to be mixed with other juices when it is straight from the source. You can even put the lime in the coconut and sing the silly song as you drink it down...hehe!



 Unfortunately, I couldn't drink coconut water from a can all by itself so I had to come up with a way to mask the taste. Below are some ways that you can get your coconut water in and not have to suffer through the taste.

Coconut Water Freeze

1 can/or carton of Coconut Water
1/4 Cup Frozen Berries
1 Spoonful of Concentrated Orange Juice
1-2 Spoonfuls of Greek Yogurt or Cool Whip lite
1 Dollop of Honey (to taste)

Add all the ingredients above to the blender and enjoy!

Coconut Water Slushie

1 can/Carton of Coconut Water
1/2 Tsp to 1Tsp Coconut Extract
1 Cup Pineapple Juice
1/2 Cup Pineapple chunks
1/2 Cup Orange Juice or 2 Tbsp of orange juice concentrate
6-8 Ice Cubes
* Sugar or honey as needed

Add all the ingredients above to the blender and enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. I am very happy to locate your website. I just wanted to thank you for the time you spent on this great article. I definitely enjoyed reading it and I have you bookmarked to check out new stuff you post.


    Kris
    www.gofastek.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really enjoyed reading your article. I found this as an informative and interesting post, so i think it is very useful and knowledgeable. I would like to thank you for the effort you have made in writing this article.


    edupdf.org


    ReplyDelete