Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Prenatal Yoga-Why I love it!

When I first found out that I was pregnant I was training for the Susan G. Komen 3 Day Walk for the cure. I was walking 3-6-9-12 mile walks. At first it wasn't a problem but very soon I was wearing myself out and I wasn't gaining enough weight. My doctor told me that it might be in my best interest to slow down. She recommended that I try prenatal yoga which would also help me prepare for labor. I was a little unsure about starting a new activity but I thought I would give it a try. 

After doing a little research I found that there are some definite benefits to doing yoga during pregnancy and for helping you get through labor. Yoga helps keep you limber and flexible while your body changes. It helps improve your circulation and teaches you to control your breathing. There are also several positions that will help the baby to move into birth canal during labor. Practicing these positions is the best way to prepare to use them in labor. There is also plenty of research on the importance of being able to control your breathing during contractions. 

After attending my first yoga class I didn't feel the need to find a Lamaze class or hypno-birthing class. I really enjoyed the class and could immediately see how yoga can benefit labor. I noticed that my back felt better and so did the rest of my body did too. My favorite part of Yoga was that I could feel my little man in a different way during class. I have to admit that I am starving after class and I need a nap, but I enjoy my yoga time and really wish that the class was at least 2 times a week. I have to yoga with a Netflix video the rest of the week. It is also nice to spend an hour in a room with other women who are also pregnant and although we really don't spend much time talking to each other it is just nice to have a shared experience.    

-Namaste-


My yoga instructor Wendy J  posted a couple of prenatal yoga videos on YouTube so I thought that I would post them here for you. They are a great way to get a 20 minute yoga session in each day.

This is Part 1 of Morning Flow


This is Part 2 of Morning Flow



No comments:

Post a Comment