Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Mama to be: Chicken Salad

Chicken Salad has been a life saver!!! One of the downsides to being pregnant is that you need to eat more. During my first trimester I would feel sick rather than hungry. I found a few important, protein filled foods stocked in my fridge helped a great deal. The last thing you want to do is fix food for yourself when you are feeling a little green. I would mix this chicken salad up when I was feeling good and would keep some ready to go through out my pregnancy. It is high protein and made me feel much better rather quickly. If you watch the mayonnaise it can also be a low fat snack. I hope this helps you too!

Note: I cook to taste...I suggest you do the same! I have also found some flavored mayonnaise in the store, these are great and all you really need is the chicken and mayonnaise. Be careful with them though because they are higher in fat!

Ingredients:

1 can- canned white chicken in water
3-6 Tbsp light mayonnaise
3-6 Tbsp mustard (spicy, regular, Dijon, or honey)
1-2 Dill Pickles or Relish
Poultry Seasoning - to taste
Black Pepper- to taste
Onion Powder or chopped onions
1/3-1/4 cup Fancy Shredded Cheese

Instructions:

Drain chicken- put juice in one bowl and chicken in another. You may need to break the chicken up a little. dice the onion and/or the pickles. Add seasonings, onion, pickles, mustard, and mayonnaise to chicken and stir. You may need to add a little of the chicken juice or add a little pickle juice to the mixture if it comes out too dry from the seasonings. I add the shredded cheese at the very end. Refrigerate and serve on whole wheat bread or crackers. If you are feeling up to it slice a tomato, avocado or lettuce to make a complete sandwich.

**Don't forget to give the left over chicken juice to the cat, dog or spilt between both!

No comments:

Post a Comment